The Pontiac Car Club of Queensland
The Pontiac Car Club of Queensland was formed in 1975 by a small number of enthusiasts in Brisbane. The club grew steadily during the late seventies and eighties, gaining members from all over Queensland. In early 1990 it was decided to merge into the Pontiac Car Club of Australia, becoming its Queensland Chapter. The aim of the club can be summarised in three words - ‘enjoying our Pontiacs’. We seek to maintain a non-political, family-friendly environment, with an emphasis on participation. We aim to have a calendar of frequent events throughout the South-East corner of the state that the whole family can be involved in. These values have been consistent throughout the history of the club. The range of Pontiac models within the club has been another strength, promoting the wide diversity of cars built by the maker over the years.
Monthly meetings are held on the first Tuesday night of each month (except January), commencing at 8pm at the Beenleigh Tavern, just off the M1. These are well-patronised, with many having a meal at the venue prior to the meeting. Undercover parking is also available, and the location is within reach of the north, west and south due to its arterial road position.
Other than the meetings, communication in the club is achieved in three forms - our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/qldpontiac), the national magazine ‘Pontiac Torque’, and our email newsletters. The magazine covers all state chapters, and has been the traditional way of keeping members informed. It is of very high quality, full colour and the envy of many other clubs.
A total of 750 Pontiacs are currently registered in Queensland, with a good number of these in the club. The Firebird/Trans Am family represents just over 50% of the population, with a similar proportion in the club. Full size models of the sixties are the other large group. Currently the Queensland Chapter has around 135 members, with more than 110 in the South-East corner of the state. Nationally, the club has over 400 members. The club’s annual membership fee is only $55, and a $10 joining fee applies.
Unlike many marque clubs, membership isn’t limited to just Pontiac owners. We are increasingly gaining new members with other American cars, looking for an active club that complements their classic car aims. A few of our Pontiac-owning members also own cars of other American marques, so it’s a benefit for them to also bring these cars along.
The club’s activities can be grouped into a number of areas :
1) ‘Touring runs’ - these are day trips that focus on a particular region, with visits to attractions, interesting driving and a lunch stop, often at a local pub. Destinations include the Gold Coast Hinterland, Boonah District, Northern NSW, Brisbane Valley, Rathdowney and Woodford.
2) Major regional car show attendance - mainly the Queensland Autospectacular in April, ‘Back to 63’ at Ipswich in August and Eliminators Show at Beenleigh in September.
3) Other event attendance - Lakeside Park’s American car days (two per annum) are a feature which commenced in 2010. On occasion, we also attend various historic racing events and local airshows.
4) Our own annual show at Sanctuary Cove, held in August in conjunction with the Cadillac Club.
5) Our annual Christmas Party
6) The Australian Pontiac Nationals - these are held every two years at Easter, involving the state chapters of the club. The event is now being rotated between the east-coast chapters, and therefore will be in Queensland every six years. Following our very successful event at Warwick in Easter 2011, the 2013 event was held at Shepparton in Victoria and the 2015 event at Goulburn in NSW. It will be back in Queensland in 2017, again at Warwick.
In summary, we believe that our blend of activities and values results in a positive, lively and enjoyable club. It provides plenty of driving experiences in a variety of local regions, as well as attending interesting events and social contact with similar car owners. We always seek to help members further enjoy their hobby. As Pontiac used to say in their advertising, ‘We are driving excitement’.